It’s that time of year again folks! The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame announced the fifteen artists and bands that are nominated for induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
To be eligible for nomination for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, it needs to have been 25 years since the release of the band/artist’s first album. For a person to be nominated as a solo artist after they’ve already been in a band, it needs to have been 25 years since their first album release as a solo artists. Band releases don’t count. No artist/band nominated this year has had their first album released later than 1989.
That being said, here are the nominees:
- The Paul Butterfield Blues Band: A rock blues band from Chicago, first album released in 1965, not active today.
- Chic: New York Inspired Disco-Soul Band, first album released in 1976. Still active today.
- Green Day: American Punk Rock Band from California. Active today, started in 1987.
- Joan Jett & the Blackhearts: Hard Rock/glam/punk/garage rock band, started in 1980.
- Kraftwerk: German Electronic Music Band, formed in 1970 and active to this day.
- The Marvelettes: All girl R&B soul group from Michigan. Active from years 1960-1970.
- N.W.A.: Composed of all of hip-hops biggest names today, this rap group was formed in 1986.
- Nine Inch Nails: Alternative Rock Band from Cleveland, Ohio, this band was formed in 1988 and is still active.
- Lou Reed: Promininent figure in Rock n Roll History, this lead vocalist from The Velvet Underground started his solo career in 1972.
- The Smiths: English alternative rock band that formed in 1982 and disbanded in 1987.
- The Spinners: R&B Vocal Group from Michigan, the band formed in 1954 and are still touring and active to this day.
- Sting: English Rocker who’s career has spanned decades, lead vocalist from the Police started his solo work in 1981.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan: Blues Rocker from Texas, Stevie was active from years 1965 until his death in 1990.
- War: Modge-podge band of blues, soul, rock, R&B from California, this band has been active since 1969.
- Bill Withers: Singer songwriter and composer active since 1963.
These are are all great bands and artists, it’s easy to see, each one deserving of induction. But of course everyone has their favorites, and only five of these fifteen can get in. In the form of neutrality, we’re resisting posting our picks for the inductees.
If you really want to make a difference for your favorite bands and artists, you can vote. But the vote isn’t the end all. The top five artists as selected by the public, will compromise a fans’ ballot that will be tallied along with the other 700+ ballots that will choose the inductees.